Queen's Career Apprenticeship: Kingston
The QCA:K is an innovative program, which connects new graduates from the arts, humanities and social science disciplines within the Faculty of Arts and Science at Queen's University with a Kingston employer. Employers who find the right fit through the program and commit to a 12-month contract, are reimbursed for 4 months of the gross salary to a maximum of $4,000 per month.
In 2021, the program will provide funding for 30 positions. Students will have access to job postings on the Queen’s Career Services website. Successful students will be eligible to start their careers by July 2021
- Employers require a working location within the greater Kingston area;
- Employers must offer a minimum 12-month* contract;
- Employers can provide meaningful employment and career development for the new apprentice;
- Job opportunities must meet a minimum salary of $35K;
- Maximum of 1 apprentice per company per year and maximum of two fully funded apprentices;
- Public sector organizations are eligible to participate and receive the grant if the roles being filled are new positions. If not a new position they may take advantage of the QCA:K program to tap into the pool of potential employees and receive the non-financial benefits (e.g., mentor) but not the grant;
- The employer should be in business for a minimum of 2 years (i.e. no start-ups);
- Minimum company size of 5+ employees will be considered;
- Employers that have received two years of grant funding may participate in the QCA:K program to tap into the pool of potential employees and receive the non-financial benefits (e.g., mentor) but not the grant
- Kingston EcDev will reimburse the participating QCA:K businesses based on monthly invoices submitted by the businesses;
- The grant will cover the apprentice salary for 4-months up to a maximum of $4,000 per month and be paid out in months 1, 2, 11 and 12;
- Businesses are eligible to receive funding for 1 apprentice per year to a maximum of two apprentices
- March - June – Applications are open for students
- March - June – Employers will have few weeks to conduct their interview process. This time will be inclusive of secondary interviews, site visits, etc.
- March - June – Employers to offer positions
- July 5 – Last date for apprenticeship to commence
To submit a job posting to the Queen’s Career Apprenticeship: Kingston program, the first step will be to contact Nour Mazloum (613-329-9270) from Kingston Economic Development Corporation or fill out the form below to discuss the position and your ideal candidate. Then you will complete a job posting form. Your posting will be uploaded to the Queen’s mycareer job portal where students can start applying.
Below are tips to get your job noticed and increase the number of applications received:
- Include as much detail as possible in your job description.
- Talk about your company! What do you do? What is different about your organization?
- What type of candidate are you looking for? Use descriptive words that students can identify with.
- How does this role fit into your organization? Do you have a team this individual will be a part of? What are they working towards?
- What are the responsibilities associated with this position? Provide as many as possible!
- What are the qualifications? Do not overload on technical skills. REMEMBER: Students are new to the job market but are very willing to learn!
Please be aware that only graduating students within the 2020/21 academic year with a major in the Arts and Humanities will be eligible to apply to positions in the Queen’s Career Apprenticeship: Kingston program.
Employers will be responsible for coordinating all necessary interview timings and logistics. Employers will have the opportunity to schedule interviews on-campus at Career Services. Please reach out to Queen’s with the names of the interviewees and the time frame, and we will do our best to accommodate your schedule.
Employers already participating in 2021 recruitment include:
Need More Information About the Queen's Career Apprenticeship: Kingston Program?
To find out how to participate as an employer, please complete the form below and one of our Business Development Officers will contact you.
Workshops + EventsView All
Join other women entrepreneurs to learn how to move forward in your business while dealing with the grief and loss of the global pandemic.
This workshop is specifically aimed at helping tourism organizations and small businesses operating in the shoulder/winter tourism sectors in Kingston.
Learn how to start your business with Summer Company!