Applications Now Open!
The City of Kingston and Kingston Economic Development Corporation have partnered together to provide a funding program to support small to medium sized businesses in the City of Kingston that have been negatively affected by COVID-19. Kingston Economic Development Corporation will be administering the program with the overall objective to support business recovery and transformation. The City of Kingston has contributed $600,000 and Kingston Economic Development Corporation has contributed $500,000 for a total fund of $1.1M.
- Business must have a registered business number;
- Business must have a business address in the City of Kingston;
- Business must have a minimum of 1 employee but not more than 50 employees at time of application;
- Business must pay commercial taxes and/or rent commercial space;
- The business must demonstrate how their business operations have been adversely affected by COVID-19;
Ineligible businesses include businesses owned by employees or immediate family members of the City of Kingston, Kingston Economic Development Corporation or any other municipal entity (i.e. Utilities Kingston). Immediate family members include family members living in the same household.
Stream 1: Business ineligible for other Federal/Provincial Program due to lack of business revenue prior to April 2020.
Stream 2: Businesses from high impact industry sectors (Wholesale; Retail; Information; Arts, Entertainment & Recreation; Accommodation & Food Services; Personal Care Services; Other Services) who can demonstrate negative economic impact from the pandemic.
Stream 3: Other industry sector businesses that can demonstrate dramatic negative changes to business operations and/or customer markets as a result of the pandemic.
Grant Funding Available:
Kingston Economic Development Corporation will provide matching grant funding in the amount of 75% of eligible expenses to a maximum of $10,000 per eligible business/registration number (Total project value $13,333).
The applicant is required to contribute a minimum 25% from business and/or other funding programs.
Funding is provided as a reimbursement of expenses based on submission of completed final report and proof of payment.
- Applications will be accepted starting April 6, 2021.
- Application deadline is April 30, 2021 at 5:00pm.
- All expenses must be incurred between January 1, 2021 and October 31, 2021.
- Final report and proof of payment can be submitted anytime after project completion and no later then November 7, 2021.
- Payment will be made after review of completed final report and proof of payment.
- Training or skill development by a third party provider for employees or owners (excluding travel expenses) that contribute to business sustainability;
- Costs related to marketing or promotion of the business including signage, digital marketing content creation, media campaigns or other marketing costs;
- Costs related to business model transformation including new technologies, methodologies or creative solutions to assist the business to find new models of serving customers and acquiring new markets. Examples of eligible expense include but isn’t limited to:
- Shift to delivery or take out business models
- Physical transformations such as takeout windows or expanded patios to accommodate social distancing
- Targeting of new markets
- New products or services
- Subscription or purchase of software
- Equipment purchases that increases productivity or supports revenue generation or replacement of old, outdated equipment;
- Business Advisory services including accounting, legal, digital marketing expertise that directly to support recovery efforts
- Rent/lease/mortgage payments;
- Property taxes;
- Payroll or wages,
- Capital lease payments;
- Debt reduction;
- Bank charges and interest payments;
- HST or other municipal, provincial or federal tax
- Any expense related to regular business operations and not a result of or response to the COVID-19 pandemic (i.e. maintenance)
The overall intent of the City of Kingston and Kingston Economic Development Corporation is to support Kingston businesses that have been negatively impacted by COVID-19 with recovery and transformation costs. Applications will be reviewed by an independent committee and scored based on the criteria below. This is a competitive process and not all applications will be funded. It is recommended to provide detailed responses.
General Terms of Funding Program:
- Successful applicants are required to sign a Funding Agreement upon approval.
- Payment will be made after the approved project as outlined in the Funding Agreement is completed.
- Payment of the grant is conditional upon submission of final report and satisfactory proof of payment of all eligible costs.
- If the actual eligible expenses are less than the approved amount in the Funding Agreement, the matching grant will be limited to 75% of the total eligible expenses.
- If the actual eligible expenses are more than the approved amount in the Funding Agreement, the additional expenses are the responsibility of the applicant.
- Eligible expenses do not include harmonized sales tax (HST).
- Eligible expenses do not include any labour costs for work performed by the applicant, owner and or employee. All labour costs must be completed by a third party provider.
- Number of employees is based at time of application.
- A business owner can be considered 1 full time employee if they can demonstrate payroll, owners draw or other personal business income.
- Only one application shall be received for each business number on a one-time basis.
- Eligible expenses are retroactive to January 1, 2021.
- All expenses must be incurred and paid for by October 31, 2021.
- The Final Report and proof of payment must be submitted no later than November 7, 2021.
- Kingston Economic Development reserves the right to request additional information and site audit as a condition of approval and payment of the program.
- Applications will be reviewed by an independent adjudication committee. The application details are confidential and the adjudication committee will only be provided the project details required for the review criteria. The business name and contact information will not be provided as part of the equitable review process.
- Where building, encroachment or work permits would be required for planned work, the City of Kingston reserves the right to confirm compliance with permitting prior to approval of application.
- The applicant is required to contribute the 25% matching funds. Stacking with other funding programs is permitted.
Application and Review Process:
- Applicants are required to complete the application form and submit it to Kingston Economic Development Corporation through the online form www.kingstonecdev.com/businessrecoverygrant;
- The application will be reviewed by an independent adjudication committee based on the evaluation criteria;
- Applicants will be notified of their application status;
- Successful applicants will be required to sign a funding agreement upon approval;
- Successful applicants will be required to complete a final report and submit proof of payment upon completion of the project.
- The grant payment will be issued upon satisfactory review of completed final report and proof of payment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can the business owner be considered a full time employee?
Yes, the business owner can be considered a full time employee as long as the business can demonstrate payroll, owners draw or other personal business income.
My business had more then 50 employees before the pandemic, am I still eligible?
The employee count is based on number of employees at time of application. If you currently have 50 or less employees, you are eligible to apply.
Are not-for-profits organization eligible to apply?
No, this program is for small to medium sized businesses in the City of Kingston. Not-for-profits can access other funding streams, check out City of Kingston's website for more information.
When is the deadline to apply?
April 30, 2021 at 5pm EST.
What if my actual costs are lower then what I have put in the application?
Proof of the total costs incurred and paid will be required. If the actual eligible expenses are less than the approved amount in the Funding Agreement, the matching grant will be limited to 75% of the total eligible expenses.
What if my actual costs are more than what are approved?
If the actual eligible expenses are more than the approved amount in the Funding Agreement, the additional expenses are the responsibility of the applicant.
Can I use other funding programs for my 25% contribution?
Yes, stacking of funds is permitted.
I finished my approved project, do I have to wait until November 7, 2021 to submit my final report and proof of payment?
No, you can submit your final report and proof of payment anytime after your approved project is completed and prior to November 7, 2021. You will receive payment upon satisfactory review of final report and proof of payment.
When will I find out if my application is approved or not approved?
All applicants will be notified of the status of their application. The independent review committee will be evaluating all applications after the April 30, 2021 deadline. The amount of time required to review the applications will be based on the number of applications received. We thank you in advance for your patience.
Are the funds retroactive?
Expenses are retroactive to January 1, 2021.
The pandemic started in March 2020, why are the funds only retroactive to January 1, 2021?
City Council contributed working reserve funds for the 2021 budget and calendar year.
Workshops + EventsView All
Presentation and moderated discussion on consumer demand for South Eastern Ontario vacation experiences and likely market profile based on Twenty31’s latest consumer research st
Learn how to create, produce, and market a podcast for your brand.
Networking: Join us for a free, fun, and informal networking event!!
Starting a small business? Learn how Kingston Economic Development can help!
Join us April 29th as Startup Grind presents An Intimate Look at Female Entrepreneurship in Patriarchal Industries.